Labels
amazon
(2)
apps
(1)
audio
(1)
books
(2)
characters
(1)
comic
(1)
counting
(1)
culture
(2)
currency
(1)
google-docs
(1)
grammar
(3)
immersion
(1)
iphone
(2)
movies
(1)
net-resource
(1)
noun modifiers
(1)
noun phrases
(1)
nouns
(1)
particles
(1)
podcast
(1)
product
(1)
reading
(2)
The Golden Axe
(2)
thoughts
(3)
tools
(1)
translation
(2)
TV
(1)
tv-series
(1)
Sunday, August 14, 2011
Poetic Chinese
As I continue to study Chinese I am amazed almost every day by how poetic Chinese is. Today I learned the word for 星(star) and the one of the words for 河 (river). Now guess what the word is for "Milky Way": 星河 (star river). Isn't that very beautiful and poetic? Now I know that English and Afrikaans (the other two languages that I speak) are also poetic (I am probably just so used to them that nothing is really new) but I find Chinese to be uniquely descriptive and poetic. I am looking forward to each new learning session, looking forward to find more gems like 星河. Here is another one. Not quite a poetic but so descriptive: 小 (small) 羊 (sheep) which is a lamb. Or how about : 山(mountain) 羊(sheep) which is a goat.
Labels:
thoughts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment