Labels

Saturday, August 20, 2011

The particle 的 (de)

I have finally gotten to this construct in my spoken Chinese lessons. I like this way of indicating possession. I am by no means an expert but it seems like this particle doesn't just indicate possession. I have seen three distinct uses for this little gem:
  1. Indicating possession.
    •  我的书(My book). 
  2. Omission of the noun in noun modification.
    • 我的书是好的 (My book is good) instead of 我的书是好书(My book is a good book)
  3. Indicating that a word is not a verb but a noun modification.
    • I don't actually have an example for this case. (Interesting! I'll have to do some research on this facet).
 We have been moving into our new house over the last couple of days so I have not been learning as much Chinese as I would have liked to. But the new place is much bigger and we are settling in quite nicely. Anyway, that's me for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment