Labels

Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Golden Axe - 2


The first sentence in the story is: 这是个炎热的夏日. Here is the translation and pinyin for each character in the sentence: (zhe4;this)(shi4;is)(gu)(yan2-scorching;buring hot)(re4-hot)(de)(zia4-summer)(ri4).So literally translated this means: This is a scorching hot summer’s day.

Notes:
  1.  I translated the general measure word () as a even though strictly speaking Chinese does not have an indefinite article. I am wondering is the original should not have been 一个 instead of just . http://mylanguages.org/chinese_articles.php
  2. The possessive particle is used here purely to indicate that it is the day that is hot. I initially thought that it was used to indicate that an adjectival verb () was used as a pure adjective instead of a verb. That would have meant that would have been the adjectival verb’s () intensifier. I cannot find evidence for this.
If anybody is reading this and disagrees with any of my translations or thoughts then I would appreaciate any feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment